June 21, 2007

What The Cats Drag In

Living in a tropical climate, near the ocean, and with a tropical estuary in our back yard can be very interesting when two cats live in the house. Every day is a new day when the cats go hunting. Boca, the older and more experienced hunter, used to drop her catch at my feet at which time I would (or Dennis, depending on what was dropped) remove it and either throw it in the garbage or set it free. Boca, and now Sassy, bring in geckos, crabs, green lizards, birds and butterflies. We find them smacking roaches and large ugly spiders until there is no play left. The catches are not dropped at our feet anymore, these smart Mexican cats jump through the dog door and run upstairs totally by passing us with their prize in mouth.

Two nights ago was a clinker! At 2:30 AM, I woke to some commotion just outside our bedroom. The cats usually wrestle with one another in the middle of the night so I didn't think too much about it but thought I would check it out anyway. I turned the light on and saw Boca playing with a 2" roach and Sassy guarding something black near by. Trying to get a better arms length look, I saw what I thought was a bat. I rushed to get my flip flop to lay over the would-be bat and then woke Dennis up for the rescue. Sure enough, it was a bat. Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! Wondering how the heck a bat got into the house, I spotted one of the sliding screen doors off it's track letting every flying and creeping critter into the house. The cats obviously jumped against the screen trying to get something.

Gradually, I am learning not to freak out when I see a large ugly spider, crab or lizard. Not sure I will ever be comfortable around a bat. Heaven forbid if a snake is brought in. Last week our neighbor said he spotted baby crocodiles on our side of the estuary. Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!

No comments: